New Website

Please Visit My New Site HometownSlop.com

Friday, June 15, 2012

The Park Cafe




Sometimes life teaches you a lesson. For me it was one which I learned unwillingly (initially) the other day. It was a Thursday afternoon, 1:00pm, I was very hungry and craving Thai food. My friend and I drove to Tasty Thai (which I love). I was already craving the hot & sour soup and masamman curry. My heart sank when I saw the "Closed for lunch on Thursday May 31st" sign in the window. What evil thing did I do to deserve this? As I was searching for answers, my friend recommended The Park Cafe just one block away. I reluctantly agreed.

It took a little while for my bad mood to subside but I began to take in the place. The Park Cafe is definitely a place where you eat, relax, linger, socialize, read the paper; much like Blue Plate Diner. It has a very inviting atmosphere; being an old bungalow home remodeled to a restaurant helps with the hometown feel. This place has a huge weekend following. If you drive by late morning on a Saturday or Sunday, there are people waiting out on the street.



The menu is small: Breakfast options, Hamburgers, Sandwiches, Soups, and Salads. Since they are open from 7:00am-3:00pm, they don't need much else. Having eaten at The Better Burger Truck the night before, I wasn't craving a sandwich or burger. Ultimately I chose the Michigan Hash; partially because of the name. It includes park potatoes (their delicious version of hash browns) mixed with sausage, onions, mushrooms, peppers, topped with cheddar cheese and 2 eggs. As if that wasn't enough food, it's servedwith a side of toast.


Michigan Hash

Like most life lessons, I was ultimately grateful for this one. The Park Cafe is delicious. The Michigan Hash was a wonderful skillet. All the ingredients are fresh and cooked well. The sausage is spicy but not overpowering. The park potatoes are crispy but dry; not enough to ruin the dish but it does need a little something. It's a heavy dish; you won't be eating much dinner that night but you will leave happy and relaxed. I didn't think that I would be able to touch the toast; I was full but they had Marion Barry Jam on the table-it was wonderful.


French Toast: looks like a meal in and of itself

Veggie Omelet

My friend had the Veggie Omelet and 2 slices of French Toast. It was an incredible amount of food but he finished it, and loved it. His exact words were: "The grilled peppers, onions, mushrooms and tomatoes were perfect. That was the best restaurant omelet I've had." He is a fellow Foodie which means we might enable each other and that will be bad on the wallet.  However, the prices here are not bad, $6.95 for the Michigan Hash and $7.50 for the Veggie Omelet. Worth it, I think so.

604 E. 1300 S.
Salt Lake City, Utah, 84105

Happy Eating.

Park Cafe on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I really like the Park Cafe. They have such a great relaxed and homey vibe. It's refreshing to go somewhere where they know what they do best and stick with that. Plus the view is great.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...