New Website

Please Visit My New Site HometownSlop.com

Friday, May 11, 2012

Carmelized Onions: As good as candy

There is something about the thought of onions that makes my mouth water. They sure can make a dish whether it's a yellow, Texas sweet, vidalia, or red onion. I also love slicing & dicing onions. It's some of the first cuts you learn in the knife skills class and can save you so much time.

Just this week Rachel was caramelizing some onions for some roast beef sandwiches. They were some of the most delicious onions that I have ever tasted. It's only fair to pass along the recipe.



Caramelized Onions:

2 Texas sweet or vidalia onions, sliced
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Add all ingredients in frying pan, saute until onions are browned. Do not allow onions to get too soft, cook until they are firm but not hard. It's best when they have a snap to them when you bite.

You can add these over meat or potatoes; put in a soup, salad or sandwich; or eat by themselves-it's as good as candy. I have done all of these and love them any which way they are served. You will to.

Happy Eating.

2 comments:

  1. If you have a basic yellow onion that isn't as sweet, you can add a biit of sugar to help with the sweetness. I keep the onions covered at first to help them sweat then uncover them while they brown. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel made these for us last night. They were WONDERFUL! I normally won't eat onions on my burgers but these were amazing and I piled them on. Thanks for passing on the tips and teaching me how to make them Rachel.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...