New Website

Please Visit My New Site HometownSlop.com

Monday, May 28, 2012

Anna's Restaurant: Salt Lake's diamond in the rough

Have you ever been on a road trip where you have grown tired (and possibly ill) of only stopping at the fast food chain restaurants off the Interstate? To satisfy the next set of hunger pains, you venture into town a little further, take a back road, and come across places like, "Kurley's Kitchen," "The Brass Lantern," and "The Prospector Restaurant." Some of these restaurants can be diamonds in the rough: great prices, hometown atmosphere, and wonderful food. I have memories of places like this in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Mississippi, Tennessee and even here locally in Salt Lake City. One of those local "diamonds in the rough" is Anna's Restaurant.



I discovered Anna's Restaurant back in 2005. It is part truck stop, part family diner tucked into a shopping center. At the time, it was within close proximity to my home & office, leaving me no choice but to patronize the establishment about once a week. The waitress would bring out a Dr. Pepper with lime before I even asked. Life changed; I moved closer into town and my relationship with Anna's all but died.

Last week I was driving south on 900 E. past Anna's. A flood of memories came rushing back. I was to meet a good friend for lunch last Friday and I immediately said Anna's when asked where we should go. How wonderful it was to walk back inside. Same decor, same menus, many of the same people. Most importantly however, same great food. Our waitress even remembered me even though it had been about 5 years.



I ordered the Anna's Club and it did not disappoint. It's a good helping of ham, cheddar, monterey jack, bacon, tomatoes, lettuce and mayo served on toasted bread and a side of steak fries. They must buy their produce locally grown as the tomato and lettuce both have a powerful freshness to them. The bacon is extra crispy and creates a perfect marriage with ham and cheese. The sandwich is large and I did not think that I would be able to finish. Nostalgia allowed me to pack it away.

Memory tells me that their burgers and salads are also great. Be careful of the Entrees as one time I got a lamb shank and it was terrible. Their best food is the most basic; but oh how wonderful it is. It's makes me wonder why anyone would pass this place to eat in a chain restaurant. Now that I think of it, everyday I wonder why anyone would eat in a chain restaurant.

Anna's Restaurant
4700 S. 900 E.
Salt Lake City, Utah, 84107



Happy Eating.

Anna's Restaurant on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

  1. Totally agree on the entrees. I was ready to drop this place after the first visit. Perhaps I will go back and get the club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you kidding? i've been here 3 or 4 times and will never go back - a complete waste of time and money. the food is sorta kinda maybe edible and the service is awful. it's cold temperature wise, old and run down. not a diamond at all. there is nothing 'truck stop' about it. seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i will never go back either. i agree with the review of december 18th. the food isn't that great and the rest of it is dismal, at best. there is nothing remotely welcoming about anna's. i can't figure out how they are still in business. it's that bad.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...