New Website

Please Visit My New Site HometownSlop.com

Friday, April 13, 2012

To Grill or to Smoke?

No, I am not referring to smoking cigarettes. I am referring to smoking meat on the grill. Ironically, this is something that I have never done except in cooking class. My grill uses propane and was purchased for $35 at a garage sale back in 2005-thank you Rachel. It still works beautifully. I love to grill (see blog post here). Just last night we grilled some burgers; last week chicken; and the week before that we grilled pork tenderloin. 


The $35 wonder. We have had it since 2005 and it is wonderful.

The reason for my consternation is the desire to do some smoking. Having indulged in some good BBQ lately (see post here), it's difficult to repress the desire to enjoying some fabulous meats with a perfect smoked flavor. All winter I have dreamed of this. While visting Mississippi and Tennessee last fall, I met some people who know what grilling and smoking is all about. A devout Ole Miss fan told me that the football team wasn't much this year but that the food at the tailgating parties was still wonderful.


Hard to see but this Ole Miss Fan's grill was towed by his truck. There are actually 3 grills on the trailer. It was such a beautiful sight; one of the most beautiful sights in Tupelo, Mississippi.



Here are a couple friends I made in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee. They run the Big City Deli in the town square. You can see the grill in front. It was made from a 200 gallon propane tank. On the menu that evening: chicken and pork. They even invited us back for karaoke later.

I am requesting any suggestions for smokers and your great recipes for smoking ribs, brisket, chicken, etc. I may just invite you over for a Saturday of smoking, watching baseball and eating fabulous food.



Happy Eating and Smoking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...