New Website

Please Visit My New Site HometownSlop.com

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Parmesan Risotto: a delicious side dish!



Each time I am either asked for a recipe or post one here, I have some fits of anxiety. I am not the best at following recipes and even when I look them up for reference, I change the proportions. Regardless of my lack of discipline for recipes, risotto is a dish that I have made many times with great popularity. My lack of contentment in cooking drives Rachel crazy. If it worked well once, do it again; instead I add this, take away that, a little more here and there. Somehow it all works out.

Parmesan Risotto

1 cup arborio rice
1 cup diced white onions
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 quart chicken stock
4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
Fresh cracked black pepper to taste.
1/2 fresh lemon

Sweat (cook until translucent) the onions, celery and carrots in 3 tablespoons butter. Add arborio rice and saute until rice kernels begin to brown. Begin to add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of stock at a time until absorbed; stir continually. When you feel the rice is properly cooked (not an easy task), add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, fresh thyme, squeeze in lemon juice, fresh cracked black pepper to taste. Remove from heat, add Parmesan, stir, and enjoy.

Cooking time is approximately 30-40 minutes. I mentioned above that cooking risotto can be a tricky task. There is a very short amount of time between when it is still too crunchy and when it turns to mush. It is as if you stand at the stove, stirring diligently as you coax each grain of rice into soaking up stock.


Coaxing each grain of rice into soaking up stock.

The onions, celery, and carrots give it a sweetness; the butter and Parmesan, a creaminess; and the thyme is a subtle touch of freshness.

You can do so much with risotto; I have added mushrooms in the past. You can add lobster or layer a roasted duck breast on top. My friend just sent me a recipe (let's see if I follow it) for Risotto alla Milanese. one of the ingredients is saffron threads. I can hardly wait to make it. Stay tuned!


Ruby and Risotto are a great match.

Happy Eating.



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...