New Website

Please Visit My New Site HometownSlop.com

Friday, November 30, 2012

Village Inn: An exlusive Salt Lake City Diner!

There is a little known restaurant close to downtown Salt Lake and the University of Utah. It's called Village Inn but currently goes by the acronym, VI.

Okay, would I really write a post on Village Inn? Finn's-yes, Blue Plate Diner-yes, Penny Ann's-yes, IHOP-no.




I did eat at a fabulous breakfast restaurant that might be a little less known nationally than VI but a popular place in Salt Lake. It's called The Original Pancake House and even on weekday mornings, the place is crowded. Now that's the sign of good food. If you go on weekends, plan on a wait.

Not having been to this place in years, it had not crossed my mind to go there. My sister loves this place and got us together there for a family breakfast last week.




I ordered the American Breakfast: your choice of Bacon or Sausage (patty or link), 2 Eggs any style, Hashbrowns and a Short Stack of Pancakes. Their traditional buttermilk pancakes are fluffy and delicious but you can choose any style of pancakes. Let me give you an idea of that decision process: Buttermilk, Buckwheat, Potato, Sourdough, 49'er, Swedish, Blueberry, Bacon, Banana, Hawaiian, Georgia Pecan, Coconut, Dollar and Wheat Germ. If you are an indecisive soul, you could be there for a while.


The Greek Omelette

My Parent's agonized over the Omelette selection before splitting a Greek Omelette with a side of Bacon. Those Omelettes are huge. The Eggs Benedict was calling to my Sister. Tasting it, she made a great choice. The Hollandaise was perfect. Hollandaise is one of the five mother sauces. You can make anything taste good with that sauce.

The American Breakfast was delicious. It's not an obese amount of food; just right and for the price of $7.50, you can't complain. I had the eggs cooked over medium. Something about cutting into the egg and having the yolk run over the plate and mix with the other food is delicious. When my wife reads this, she will want to beat me as my food mixing disgusts her. Better to do what you love and tolerate abuse than repress it.


Eggs Benedict

The eggs were delicious but the best part of the meal were the hashbrowns and pancakes. The hashbrowns are thick cut and perfectly browned. They don't even need ketchup as they are very flavorful. The pancakes must be whipped with a little butter in the batter. They are delicious. Probably not as unhealthy as Penny Ann's pancakes, but delicious nonetheless.

It wasn't until I was writing this post that I found out that The Original Pancake House is actually a chain. There is only one location in Utah. Each location can alter the menu accordingly. Typically I don't find myself going to chain restaurants, but anytime I see this while traveling, I will glady stop by.




790 East 2100 South
Salt Lake City, Utah, 84106


Happy Eating

 Original Pancake House on Urbanspoon

6 comments:

  1. HUH? What does this have to do with VI [Village Idiot]? 'The Original Pancake House' charged me for real maple syrup. When I asked if they had it the waitron said of course, and looked at me as if I were from another universe [i'm from new england]. Nothing was mentioned about an additional charge. It's expensive and the food isn't all it's cracked up to be. The wait people appear as if they are trying to make a quota selling stuff. Check out Penny Ann's or the Park Cafe. This is a chain trying to be local and not succeeding at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because the writer is a snob who took a few cooking classes and became an expert in an industry he has yet to work in. His primary goal (if it wasn't obvious in the first few sentences of this review) is to pontificate his obvious vocational seminar training knowledge, and trash chain restaurants. I wouldn't give this guy any credibility when it comes to any reviews.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...