New Website

Please Visit My New Site HometownSlop.com

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Anaheim Chili Smoked Chicken



As I fall more desperately in love with my Traeger Smoker, inspiration flows freely. Saturday morning I was at the grocery store and picked up two whole chickens (not live chickens). The day got busy and around 3:00pm I realized that I had to figure out a marinade. Having done a Herbed Butter Smoked Chicken before, I knew that deliciousness was definitely possible.

Butter would have to be the first ingredient to give it that crispy skin. As I looked around, I knew that I wanted it to have some fire, some herbs, be moist, tender, and frankly the best chicken that has ever been eaten. Okay, humility now but the wow factor was definitely in play. I chopped a shallot, added Dijon mustard, minced an Anaheim chili peppers, cut up some basil, added some ground pepper, a few drops of apple cider vinegar, and seasoned the bird with salt.


A Smoking Chicken

Anaheim Chili Smoked Chicken

1 4-5 pound chicken
1/4 pound butter
1 shallot, minced
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 Anaheim chili pepper, chopped
1 cup basil, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Seasoning salt to sprinkle over bird

Dry chicken with paper towels. Mix butter (soft but not melted), shallot, Dijon mustard, Anaheim chili pepper, basil, black pepper and apple cider vinegar in a bowl. Rub butter mixture thoroughly over bird including under skin and in cavity. Tie legs together. Preheat smoker to 375 degrees. Place bird directly on grill rack with breast up. Smoke for 1 hour 15 minutes. Check internal temperature of bird and remove from smoker when internal temp is 165 degrees.

As you bite in, you will taste the heat of the peppers and the sweet tanginess of the shallot. The butter will leave the skin crisp and flavorful. The basil adds a freshness to the bird. It's a beautiful creation. Now what do 3 people do with a whole roast chicken in the fridge? Maybe breakfast, lunch and dinner.


Happy Eating

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...