New Website

Please Visit My New Site HometownSlop.com

Friday, September 23, 2011

Utah State Fair

Last Wednesday we had the wonderful opportunity to go the Utah State Fair. One week earlier, we had hoped to go to the Greek Festival but Ruby was not feeling well. We definitely did not want to miss the fair. It was a fabulous evening. Ruby loved petting the rabbits, feeding the goats, and watching the sea lion show. I mostly loved, as you can guess, the food!

Right after you enter, the row of food shacks begin. This is part of the search for "Americana," as I have mentioned in earlier blogs, that I love. The aroma is constant and if you were not hungry when you came, you are now. I love that the food stands look like they haven't been changed since the 1950's. Something classic about that must make us crave the food even more. The rush is on. To me it was similar to when I haven't had a Dr. Pepper in three days, leaving my head pounding and my body shaking until that sweet syrup has calmed my nerves. I didn't care when we would see the animals, I needed food. We sat down at the food court and I set out on my search.

There were philly cheesesteaks, burgers, fries, burritos, pizza, churros, lemonade. Anything you could want. At one stand there was a picture of a very large, juicy chesseburger with hand cut fries. The cheeseburger was smaller than advertised but the fries were wonderful. Rachel and I shared a large homemade raspberry lemonade made with fresh raspberries. It was heaven. While eating, the lady at the table next to us was working on an onion blossom. Oh how I wish I had ordered that. How I wish that I had a four-chambered stomach, like a cow, to eat as much as possible.

How I wish also I had taken out more than $20 at the ATM on the way to the fair. Thankfully there were strategically placed ATMs very close to the food stands.

After petting the animals and touring some arts and crafts, Rachel, Ruby and I shared a funnel cake; amazing.
At the food stand next door they were selling smoked turkey legs. They looked wonderful. I spent the rest of the time wondering if I could fit in either an onion blossom or turkey leg. On the way out I realized that I sadly could not. Was I defeated? Not at all. It gives me more to look forward to next year.
If you have not experienced the Utah State Fair, then plan on next year. It is not to be missed. Bring lots of cash and an empty stomach and you will be pleasantly surprised.



Happy Eating

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo! I loved your comment about the four chambered stomach--I would go to the Fair to see THAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post makes me hungry! Every year at the Kansas state fair I have to have fried green tomatoes, lemonade and a pronto pup. We also buy dozens of flavored honey sticks. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...