New Website

Please Visit My New Site HometownSlop.com

Monday, February 18, 2013

Valentine's Day Dinner 2013: It's all about the food!



On Valentine's Day 2003, I cooked dinner for Rachel. We were engaged at that time and I couldn't afford to go out to dinner. I also didn't want to fight for reservations at a restaurant and be told that I could come at either 5:00 or 10:45pm. That night I cooked chicken adobo and my apartment had a strong odor of garlic for days. It was the start of a great tradition; not garlic odor but cooking Valentine's dinner for Rachel. I cook much more often than once a year but I always look for something fun and exciting for February 14th. Much better than picking out some cheesy balloons and chocolates at the grocery store.

This year I did some research and got excited about cooking bacon wrapped filet mignon, sweet potato wedges with lime mayo, asparagus with hollandaise sauce and apple strudel for dessert.

Now you have to understand, I have rarely baked anything in my life. I wanted to impress Rachel (a colossal task) and I knew that baking; especially baking a delicious dessert would be appropriate.

It took about two hours to cook everything but it all seemed to come out just fine. Ruby and Rachel would be the ultimate judges. Rachel loved it and Ruby's favorite part was the filet mignon. Nothing like a medium rare steak with a crisp exterior and juicy, tender inside. The bacon on the outside would make your foot taste good.

Valentine's is a special day for many and I love our little tradition. Now what to cook for next year?


Happy Eating  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...